Anyone feel XenForo is praised too much?

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I'm not going to be a snob and diss people's software. I mean, if people want Discourse - or some free host with ProBoards - have at it! I mean, there are disadvantages with different setups - but it depends on the other factors going on as well.
Ignore him, he's just trolling. He always does this, it's why I can't talk about XF without setting up a lot of precautions and pre-answers to try to shut down an argument before it stretches twenty pages. He's banned from a load of other admin forums including XenForo itself.
YES! This, so much this. Xenforo is a good forum software, sure, but IPB is far superior both in terms of design and features in my opinion.
Honestly, I think IPB is pretty underrated. It might be because XenForo is thinner or the price, but I'm surprised more people don't use it.
It does seem a lot more corporate though, so people might not quite get that personal touch from support and it starts at a higher price point which might price some people out.

D

Deleted member 44219

*rolleyes* Whatever @Azareal. If you like Discourse, that's fine, why don't you create your own Discourse website and have fun. Yeah.

I wouldn't want to scroll down seeing endless threads. As a matter of fact, any site that do similar behavior, I avoid. It hurts my head.
Lol, yeah. That's one thing about Discourse. Just an endless file cabinet of Threads. It doesn't really hurt my head but makes me confused and boggled. I too, hate sites that do that.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
XenForo was ahead of the curve when it was released. It seemed faster, more modern, and came with the built in features everyone needed. This is why it's "overrated". People are remembering how nice it was when it came out in my opinion. It's kind of like this: If Microsoft had revamped their UI years before they did, we would associate Microsoft with being "clean" or "slick". Instead, Apple came out with an incredibly nice UI for their products and so we all still associate them with being clean or slick - even if other products are just as clean or slick. It's all about who does it first. XenForo may have its flaws, but it came out at a time when other forum softwares felt older. Now that other software has caught up, XF still has the reputation of being the "clean" or "slick" software the same way Apple does for getting there first.

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
My problem with Xenforo forums is that most of them look exactly the same. Even with a change of skin...it still has that same look.

I was recently registering on some new forums belonging to some members here on FP and there were 3 in one day that I probably couldn't tell apart if I hadn't looked at the URL.

• Agree
Reactions: Azareal

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
XenForo was ahead of the curve when it was released. It seemed faster, more modern, and came with the built in features everyone needed. This is why it's "overrated". People are remembering how nice it was when it came out in my opinion. It's kind of like this: If Microsoft had revamped their UI years before they did, we would associate Microsoft with being "clean" or "slick". Instead, Apple came out with an incredibly nice UI for their products and so we all still associate them with being clean or slick - even if other products are just as clean or slick. It's all about who does it first. XenForo may have its flaws, but it came out at a time when other forum softwares felt older. Now that other software has caught up, XF still has the reputation of being the "clean" or "slick" software the same way Apple does for getting there first.
I don't think XenForo was ever really that fast, asides from maybe the control panel which went crazy with AJAX and fancy effects at the detriment of everything else. If anything, it pummelled the servers of the time.

It is faster than Hundred Queries vB5, but to be honest, everything is.

And comparing it to Apple isn't really a good comparison considering it's far obsolete by modern standards and there are newer players which completely destroy it in perceived performance, real performance, UX, etc.

Also, something to mention with Apple is that it was more of a business innovation than a design or a technical one. They managed to make the deals with the carriers at a very good time when they had their problems which turned a ridiculously expensive phone no one would be willing to buy into a success. They have been riding those winds since.

XenForo is similar in that regard, the stack which so many people use that it becomes a self-perpetuating "legend". They did throw in likes and alerts first, but even those were stolen from Facebook and plenty of people commented on that at the time.

Last edited:

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
@Azareal I think you bring up some good points. The main thing similar between Apple & XenForo is that they were able to arrive with fancy looking UIs before others modernized theirs. The speed & efficiency of XF wasn't fantastic, but from a USER's point of view, it was a superior software. I remember at the time that XF forums simply got more activity in the first few weeks than new forums on other software. I think it can take a long time for a forum software to lose its prestige, even if XF has in fact lost a lot of its good reputation.

It reminds me of vBulletin. It was a superior software for years because of the sheer number of developers, mods, and themes. IPB then had its reign and vB lost its footing in the market. It's gone back & forth between many of the top paid softwares, but I would argue that IPB and XF are still the best.

Gosora looks great by the way :)
Runs very smoothly

Reactions: meetdilip

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Runs very smoothly
Thank you very much. Did you download it or just try out the site I have up? :)
It reminds me of vBulletin. It was a superior software for years because of the sheer number of developers, mods, and themes.
vB could actually be the considered the #1 forum software simply from the sheer number of old sites still running. And then, bbPress, XenForo and that one that's big in China, Discuz.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Runs very smoothly
Thank you very much. Did you download it or just try out the site I have up? :)
It reminds me of vBulletin. It was a superior software for years because of the sheer number of developers, mods, and themes.
vB could actually be the considered the #1 forum software simply from the sheer number of old sites still running. And then, bbPress, XenForo and that one that's big in China, Discuz.
I have not downloaded it. I only visited your site a couple times

True, vB is still around. I wonder how many old sites are on vulnerable old versions lol - welp

vgchat

Reputable
Feb 26, 2013
www.vgcheat.com
FP$
I've tried a xenforo from a demo request. Looks pretty obvious that they blatantly stole sections (from vbulletin) from the admin cp & rearranged them, many of the same options can almost be found word for word. Sure you may find some options under different menus but many from vbulletin are still there and yet some options have been renamed or moved completely such as their "rebuild caches" tab which is basically bassed off of vbulletins "general update tools".

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I've tried a xenforo from a demo request. Looks pretty obvious that they blatantly stole sections (from vbulletin) from the admin cp & rearranged them, many of the same options can almost be found word for word. Sure you may find some options under different menus but many from vbulletin are still there and yet some options have been renamed or moved completely such as their "rebuild caches" tab which is basically bassed off of vbulletins "general update tools".
That might have something to do with the fact that the developers of XenForo used to be employees working on vB before they ran off and created their own competitor to the product.

There was a whole lawsuit about them stealing things. A whole lawsuit.

Alas, Internet Brands was so abysmally bad at PR, support, development, etc. that vB is now a mickey mouse product no one really cares about.

Last edited: