Closed! Win a FREE Xenforo License!

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Luke, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2
    Hello FP'ers!

I am holding a competition where I will give one Xenforo license away to one lucky user. Before we get to it, what is Xenforo? Xenforo is a paid forum software system, it costs $140 which we know for some members here is something they can't afford. The competition will close in three weeks time ;)

Xenforo.com are providing us with one license to give away.  Please note: this license isn't transferable for money.

So what do you have to do? Show us how much you want it and why you should have it! Post a paragraph here or PM me with why you should get the license and then send $200FP to me (ZINC) with the comment XENFORO. After that you are entered! Depending in how many entries we get depends on how the FP cash is used. If it's a good amount, we'll send it to Fergal for the Red Cups but we don't want to make him have to pay a massive unexpected cost so we'll work with him to how much we can put into Red Cups!

Please note: users with warnings may not compete nor may users who already own licenses. You may not sell this license either.

The winner will be required to hand over legit details of their Name, Address and Email Address so your license can be put together! The license starts from the day you hand over your details!

Thank you to Xenforo.com for supporting this competition and enjoy guys! :)

2. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2
    Re: Win a FREE Xenforo License!

ROCKY:

I've recently opened my forums that is hosted on ZetaBoards at the moment. I feel very limited to features I have. I have to pay monthly to remove advertisements for the forum and the money I put in might not last the whole month nor do I get anything out of the forum. Moving my forum onto Xenforo would be a massive improvement to my forum and would benefit for a very long time. After moving on Xenforo I would stay on it forever and never move to another software because no software is better. The forum I'm running is very unique (I came up with the niche, I believe) and it's gotten a handful of activity on the forum with a few dedicated members after just a few days of launching. I plan on investing a lot more to the forum after moving onto Xenforo. Xenforo suites my forum so well that I won't have to be installing any modifications to make it a better software because it already is great. I hope that you choose me for this worthy license. :p

Shole

Well I had a lot of forums only on free software and I never had the chance to get or win an paid software. I can't afford it since i can't transfer founds to paypal nor do I have the money to transfer it. I tried getting money with posting package but i could collect only so much to make a free forum not get a license. I always wanted to have XenFOro after it was released because it looked so professional and it made members feel awesome I mean i love when I brows through a XenForo forum its just epic.
    I would use it for finally being able to build a huge forum and not worry about how will i find the money to get a software so my members won't leave because i don't have the right mods.
    I wish all the contestants good luck :D
    phio_chan
    I have been involved with online communities for at least four years until now. I have been using various forum software, from free to paid ones. It is only recently that I discovered XenForo, and I should say I like it for its unique appearance and function. I want to know it more, as administrator and member. Unfortunately, I can't buy it. Judging from how it looks like, I would like to give it a try on a project I have. I believe XenForo will help to make my project go smoothly.

StevenF50
    Well I've been making forums since I was pretty young starting off with using forumotion then on to mybbnew then finally onto self hosted mybb and phpbb but I've never really had a shot with paid forum software, the closest I got was when I traded something for a IPB license but the trade had to be reversed so I only got to try it out for a bit! I've been working on a forum called Zingor Forums for over a year now and I keep been set back many months with the project due to the errors that are been thrown at me while using mybb, don't get me wrong I like myBB but it's not cut out for them forum I want. If I had an xenforo license it'd give me another shot at Zingor Forums and this time it would finally open as I won't have to spend weeks in their support forum plus I've never had more than 40$ in my paypal so I've never got close to being able to buy one myself.

I don't think I've had an official warning, I hope not :O

Patrick S
    I need a license to give to my hosting company who has been a free post to host for 11 years. They have used mybb for the first 9, but due to a staff member they had to switch to PHPBB. They make almost no profit so they can't afford a premium license.

Tuneboard

I would like to win an XenForo license because: My job and company, as a web development agency, could be expensive. We have to pay for many services just for us to make money. These services being web hosting, hiring other web developers & designers, softwares such as this, and much more. Imagine having to spend $xxxx just to make $xxx. It gets hard. By offering me this license you could expect elegant and stunning new themes for XenForo for reasonably cheap prices. We need the license to legally create and distribute the skins to the public and in this economy purchasing it ourselves is possible yes but hard due to all of the expenses. I would greatly appreciate having this license and maybe in return we could offer some design services if it is wanted ;). Thanks for reading and I appreciate you giving my company and I the opportunity to expand into a wider variety of software.

Noreturn

I have a few forums planned for this summer, and one in particular that I am thinking about starting up has some amazing potential. I think if I could get paid forum software that almost everyone appreciate and has respect for I will already be off to a great jump start. Though I am still learning my way around such a large world I would love to try out new forum software; I have only been a member of a xenforo and have never seen the backend of the amazing software. If I win, I will learn how to use the software, then come back to Forum Promotion and share the tips and tricks I have learned about it. I personally think that if I can win this XenForo license it will help me keep my new forum become my dream forum.

Joshua F
    I have been recently trying to bring up a site but have nothing to use on it, I have also been wanting to develop for XenForo, but I do not have enough money to buy a license. I could easily stick with using free forum scripts, but I'd prefer to have a paid one for many obvious reasons. If I were to win the license, I would get a site up and running, and start producing applications/mods for the XenForo community.

Drunk
    I have been working on forums since 2003 and it seems I come up with ideas for my subject matter that I can't seem to find anywhere. I've been with proboards, hyperboards, mybb, lefora, forumotion, iforumer, boardhost, freeforums, forumsindex, and there was one other I can't remember. None of these have been able to offer proper support or even been able to support the plugins or anything they claim to support. I've submitted each one to search engines, (yes I know a few of them were subdomains) but none seem to be able to bring in any type of members. My ideas may be odd, I admit, but I've seen a whole lot worse. I don't have the financial means to go around and buy all the fancy gadgetry that I've seen on xenforo, point blank. I think if I were to obtain xenforo I would be able to finally take a breather and not worry about constant updates because things go wrong on the server side of the partnership.

JBMedia
    I would love to have the opportunity to receive an Xenforo License. I've held many forums in my past, unfortunately all of them have been under free license forum software. A big part of the reasons my older forums never worked out was because I wasn't able to stay constant with times and purchase forum software. Unfortunately, as of right now, I am still in the same boat.

The forum I would plan on opening up if I was the one to receive this license would be to have it corresponding with a blog I'm planning on unleashing in the very near future. It's always been kind of a silly dream of mine to help people figure out their financial problems in life. Whether it's with their business, income, or personal well being due to financial matters. I've always wanted a medium to write and help people figure out solutions to their problems regarding money and their financial wellfare.

This license would help me do exactly that. I've always wanted to give to a community something I was never taught when I was young. Of course, I do plan on having it for all audiences, but I want to focus the target group to younger individuals so they can learn things we didn't learn when we were young regarding finances, personal wealth, and personal freedom.

I would be humbled by your offer if I were to receive this license and I promise to not let it go to waste.

Thank you for your time and the opportunity of this contest ZINC. It is deeply appreciated by all the members here.

The Nova
    Well I'd like to say thank you first of all to both ForumPromotion and xenForo for providing this great piece of forum software to a lucky person. I can only judge the software on how other forums use it, as I have never owned a license and never worked as an administrator on a forum using xenForo. I've used MyBB for the last 3-4 years and while it is a good forum software, xenForo beats it in many ways (user interface/control panel). I have recently bought a domain and I am currently in the process of writing up a plan on how to run a forum under it. xenForo would give me ease of use, stylish design and great interface the forum would need.

Thank you again.

Daniel:

I have always wanted to have some type of paid forum license! I have never had one of my own and I have only ever used paid licenses under my friends or other acquaintances. If I get this Xenforo license I will be using it for my Minecraft server to serve as a forum for my players to communicate with and to provide a friendly interface for everyone to use that comes to my server and to get basic help. I would be able to use it to make a more unified way of communicating with my Minecraft staff, right now I am limited to using In-Game chat of some sort and that get's very hard to follow because of all the other user chat and causes the important staff chat to be lost in the history.
    Lastly, I would utilize the forum as a source of allowing people to apply for a staff position or rank on the server. :)

Sheldon:

Actually i started with phpbb and found it good but as time went my money dried up and cud not afford paid hosting and thus went to forumotion.
    Forumotion was good but has limited opportunities and so i went to free hosting and started using Mybb,mybb was thus good and very close to Vbulletin.Buy Mybb aslo had some limited features and also the development process is a bit slow.I am from India and 140% means 7,000 to 8,000 money which i can never afford until i start earning my own,140$ is my house rent for one month.I though of advertising but the earning was very slow,i like earned only 50 cents in a month and it was a problem for me to transfer it in my local currency. I also tried many ways of earning money online but always failed.I think if would be a great honour for me if i would get a free license.

I have an active community with many active members and 1k posts.

Thank You for reading.

Shahrier
    I have been trying to acquire Xenforo license for the longest time. There are so many blockages as many unexpected expenses have occurred. I have to host my site on phpBB as it is the best free option (in my opinon) and it is not working so well for me. My members are complaining about many things and I'm doing the best I can to follow their needs. I buy one theme and it's not good enough, and stuff like that. A lot of expenses lead to me not buying a Xenforo license, especially the hosting bill. I'd really appreciate if I got this license. If not, thank you for hosting this competition

3. Mik.

Mik. Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+0

I've recently opened my forums that is hosted on ZetaBoards at the moment. I feel very limited to features I have. I have to pay monthly to remove advertisements for the forum and the money I put in might not last the whole month nor do I get anything out of the forum. Moving my forum onto Xenforo would be a massive improvement to my forum and would benefit for a very long time. After moving on Xenforo I would stay on it forever and never move to another software because no software is better. The forum I'm running is very unique (I came up with the niche, I believe) and it's gotten a handful of activity on the forum with a few dedicated members after just a few days of launching. I plan on investing a lot more to the forum after moving onto Xenforo. Xenforo suites my forum so well that I won't have to be installing any modifications to make it a better software because it already is great. I hope that you choose me for this worthy license. :p

4. Shole

Shole Seasoned Veteran

+30

Well I had a lot of forums only on free software and I never had the chance to get or win an paid software. I can't afford it since i can't transfer founds to paypal nor do I have the money to transfer it. I tried getting money with posting package but i could collect only so much to make a free forum not get a license. I always wanted to have XenFOro after it was released because it looked so professional and it made members feel awesome I mean i love when I brows through a XenForo forum its just epic.
    I would use it for finally being able to build a huge forum and not worry about how will i find the money to get a software so my members won't leave because i don't have the right mods.
    I wish all the contestants good luck :D

5. Migi

Migi Phantom Thief Lv. N00B Retired Admin

+339

This is a very interesting competition! I may as well try my luck on this. :)

Good luck to all participants! :D

6. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2

Good luck to all you guys so far! :)

Keep your entries coming in! It's not everyday you can say you had a chance at winning a FREE Xenforo license!

7. juststeven

juststeven Madly Diligent

+31

Well I've been making forums since I was pretty young starting off with using forumotion then on to mybbnew then finally onto self hosted mybb and phpbb but I've never really had a shot with paid forum software, the closest I got was when I traded something for a IPB license but the trade had to be reversed so I only got to try it out for a bit! I've been working on a forum called Zingor Forums for over a year now and I keep been set back many months with the project due to the errors that are been thrown at me while using mybb, don't get me wrong I like myBB but it's not cut out for them forum I want. If I had an xenforo license it'd give me another shot at Zingor Forums and this time it would finally open as I won't have to spend weeks in their support forum plus I've never had more than 40$ in my paypal so I've never got close to being able to buy one myself.

I don't think I've had an official warning, I hope not :O

8. BeerMan

BeerMan Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0

Geez, I wish. For now this is way above my head but, good luck to all the entries! :cheer:

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Acquaintance

+0

Actually i started with phpbb and found it good but as time went my money dried up and cud not afford paid hosting and thus went to forumotion.
    Forumotion was good but has limited opportunities and so i went to free hosting and started using Mybb,mybb was thus good and very close to Vbulletin.Buy Mybb aslo had some limited features and also the development process is a bit slow.I am from India and 140% means 7,000 to 8,000 money which i can never afford until i start earning my own,140$ is my house rent for one month.I though of advertising but the earning was very slow,i like earned only 50 cents in a month and it was a problem for me to transfer it in my local currency. I also tried many ways of earning money online but always failed.I think if would be a great honour for me if i would get a free license.

I have an active community with many active members and 1k posts.

Thank You for reading.

10. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2

You don't pass one of the requirements.

11. Sheldon

Sheldon Acquaintance

+0

ohh sorry my bad,please allow me in contest,i always wanted to have one and it is like my dream come true,please Sir.,i will be Hyper active here and earn 200 $ FP without spam posts.

12. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2

You've got three weeks till it closes! You can earn $200FP in seconds around here doing exchanges! :)

13. crazymum

crazymum Addicted

+0

Already run a xenforo forum which is really brillant forum software.Just wanting to wish every one the best of luck in the competition and what a great chance to win a great forum software

14. sapper

sapper Addicted

+0

Zinc
    I think you should make members aware that with Xenforo there is a $50 a year licence renewal fee.

15. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2

You don't have to pay that though, it's only if you want to upgrade so it's not forced apon the users :)

16. Sheldon

Sheldon Acquaintance

+0

i think i pass requirements now.

17. D

D Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+89

Some Questions:

Who's paying for the license?

Why are user's with warnings not allowed to enter? Doesn't that seem unfair that people who have warning's are excluded from forumpromotion competitions and treated differently than other members? I can understand that rule about applying for staff - I see no reason for people with warnings to be excluded from contests though.

18. sapper

sapper Addicted

+0

Hmm that sounds fine, but you will need to upgrade at some point to be able to take advantage of new add ons as far as I know they are not written as back compatible.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great offer.
    But as I have just purchased one at some expense, I'm a bit P***** off that they have decided to a licence away on what some would consider an competitors site, why could'nt they have refunded the cost to someone who has bought a licence in the last twelve months say.

I know that is not your problem, but I be a few of their customers feel a little like me.

19. sapper

sapper Addicted

+0

Xenforo are very tight lipped about this, and will not make any details public.

I am actually quite miffed that profit from my purchase is being used in this manner

20. Patrick S.

Patrick S. Seasoned Veteran

+0

I need a license to give to my hosting company who has been a free post to host for 11 years. They have used mybb for the first 9, but due to a staff member they had to switch to PHPBB. They make almost no profit so they can't afford a premium license.