Have You Ever Used YaBB?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44219
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Deleted member 44219

Have any of you ever used YaBB?(Yet-Another-Bulletin-Board) If so, what was it like? I'm quite interested in it and it does look good. But at the same time, it looks old, outdated and in-secure.

Aaron

Legendary Typer
Jun 4, 2013
FP$
I've used it before but I've always preferred phpBB and MyBB.

overcast

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Dec 27, 2018
FP$
I remember Yabb and many similar scripts which I used to try out in past on my development server. YaBB, PunBB, UseBB were some of the really good frugal forum solutions. But social media practically killed many forum softwares. Even SMF was on the brink of death due to inner politics but it survived the fork too. It's better to stay with what's left in active development.

D

Deleted member 44219

It looks like an old SMF clone, why would anyone want to use that for a new community today?
From what I've heard, SMF was based on YaBB. But the theme of YaBB does look like SMF 1.x

I remember Yabb and many similar scripts which I used to try out in past on my development server. YaBB, PunBB, UseBB were some of the really good frugal forum solutions. But social media practically killed many forum softwares. Even SMF was on the brink of death due to inner politics but it survived the fork too. It's better to stay with what's left in active development.
I have to agree with you on that one. YaBB does look outdated and insecure. Besides, I really only have experience with SMF and so I'll definitely be sticking to it. Unless, of course, it dies out and development stops.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I never used it as it didn't have as many theme/mod options as other software like MyBB.
I have been on forums that did use it and it wasn't too bad. I just think their overall design is very outdated and I worry what the backend is like. They needed a revamp years ago, and it appears they still are behind the curve