How to build? Something to connect to 3g and convert to wifi

Discussion in 'Computers & The Internet' started by Aly, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Aly

Aly Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    Long title. Yeah. I've heard of something called the Mifi. You pay for a blah plan from them, They let you connect to mobile data and it converts it to wifi. Pretty amazing. Problem? I can't afford A. The Mifi connector or B. The data plan. I want to build something that can connect to mobile data and convert it to wifi. I've got a bit of everything, I'm sure there is a way. Here's what I have:

1. 16+ computers.
    2. 2-10 broken phones, none "smartphones"
    3. 1 router
    4. 1 old verizon usb wireless card
    5. Various other electronics that can be destroyed ;)

Can anyone tell me how or link me to something that could build what I'm wanting ? Is this even possible ? (I mean, I know it is because the Mifi does) Or can someone at least link me to a super ultra smart tech board where people build stuff ? Thanks!

2. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0
    Re: How to build? Something to connect to 3g and convert to

You would still have to pay for data even if you made a router.

Take a look at the pay as you go plans, and mobile hotspot. :)

3. InRomoWeTrust

InRomoWeTrust Reputable

+0

What are you actually trying to accomplish? Just build a hotspot device? Tether a phone? Or magically get around having to pay for the data plan?

Verizon's hotspot device is free w/ 2 year commitment. You just pay for data.

4. Aly

+0

Basically, I have a phone. I have mobile data on said phone. I have to pay for that.
    Said phone is stupid. :( I can't make a non-smartphone into a hotspot. Plus, I get charged for the minute on internet. Annoying as heck. Its like ten cents a minute.
    I have a tablet. A wifi-only tablet that needs a wifi hotspot. I live in a very rural area. Unless you're at home, work, or school, no internet for you.

Seeing I already pay for one phone, I would like to be able to not have to pay for another plan just for some "mobile data". Seeing I have a dumbphone, I can't make it into a hotspot.
    I am now trying to figure out if I could possibly build something to simply connect to a 3g network and convert it to wifi for my dear loving tablet.

Well, I can understand pay as you go, but still, how would I get a mobile hotspot? I'm sure it requires a fancy phone or fancy machine that costs a lot. :( Dumbphones fail :(

5. InRomoWeTrust

InRomoWeTrust Reputable

+0

Sorry, you're out of luck. You can't magically pull a mobile signal from the sky for free WiFi.

I'm assuming you're pretty young given the situation here. Why don't you look to mow some lawns or do some landscaping with spring coming up? There will be plenty of people you can help out. You could very easily feed the costs of a proper phone for a mobile hotspot + data plan.

6. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

Get a Usb data cable for your phone, Get the software for pc, Use phone as mobile internet connection.

What makes your phone?.

7. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+190

Unfortunately.

@Dennis,

He says that it's not a smartphone, so perhaps it lacks that feature too. I'm curious though. If you have 16+ computers lying around, why not sell them and their parts? :) You probably have hundreds worth of parts and materials.

8. Aly

+0

A. I'm not really "young". I need to get an actual job, but nobody wants to hire people >_< B. Around here, nobody has enough money to pay for someone else to do their crap. (I live in a pretty poor area). I don't have a job right now, but I'm going to a state competition this weekend and if I place I'll be required to get a job to go to the national competition and pay for it. THEN if I have the money I may consider getting a "fancy phone" (lol) to get mobile data :p
    Until then, guess I'm outta luck. Thank you for the suggestions and help though :)

Now that seems brilliant, but I havent the clue of how to do that.
    I have a crappy samsung phone without a battery works. I have a flip phone. And I have my current, beautiful, pay for the minute internet phone: The LG900G! :p

Can I connect it to my computer for internet?

She* (Just letting you know :) )

Well, first of all they are all old. Most of them have been stripped, but I think I have enough parts to make at least 8-10 full functioning computers with all the parts. The parts aren't worth much because they're outdated. I just figured I could use them to build something. Plus, my dad is slightly a packrat and so selling them is out of the option :p

Thanks everyone :)

9. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

My phone isnt a smart phone, It was £25 :p If you tell me the model of your other phones, Ill do some research and help you. :)

10. Aly

+0

I really don't know the models :/ Thanks though :)

On second thought, totally worth looking to find the model. BRB
    Samsung Sgh-t401g(nt)

(LOOKING FOR MORE :D )

Samsung SCH-R451C(St)

(STILL LOOKING :p)

(cannot find more :( )

11. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

Ok, It should be on the sticker under the battery.<br /><br />-- 21 Mar 2013, 00:31 --<br /><br />You just edited that. ;p

12. Aly

+0

Yeah, found two. I can't find the rest :(

13. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+190

I'm sorry about that. :) You'll be surprised how much outdated parts are valued. And if you have around 16 of them, and 10 are working, you may be sitting on top of hundreds. I really think you should talk to an expert before ripping them apart.

14. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

Well Like I Said ill do some searching and then write a guide up on how to do it. :)

15. Aly

+0

Oops, too late. :p I've broken most of them down. I meant I have the PARTS to make up to ten working computers :D
    They'd pretty much be mixed matched, but they'd work. I live in a very rural area. I don't think there are any real experts around. Maybe one day in the future, though. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you much!
    Thank you! I'll pay you some FP$ for helping me :)
    Also, no rush or anything, but do you think you'll have the guide up by saturday? I leave on Sunday, which is why I wanted the internet.

16. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

Most probably tomorrow (or in about 11 hours to be precise). :p

And No Fp is needed, Im just glad to be helping someone. :)

17. Aly

+0

Well I'm very thankful for you :) I'll be looking for it

18. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

Well Ive tried searching and so far found this:

1. Download the LG pc sync software [aka LG PCSuite] here http://www.lg.com/uk/support-mobile/lg-U900#pcsync (which is for pc)

2. Extract to the desktop and start the installer, then select "internet kit" from the menu.

3. Once you have installed the internet kit, go to the start menu and type "lg" and run the internet kit application.

4. Go back to the installer where you installed the internet kit from and choose to install the usb driver.

5. Connect the phone to your pc with a usb data cable [if you dont have one you want this one http://www.amazon.com/iNcido-Brand-900G ... B005HF4D2O but just check thats the right one first..

6. Now go back to the Internet kit application, Click the "new" button with the phone and the plus symbol, Enter all the required details.

7. Select the profile you made, then click on the modem button on the right, choose your phone from the dropdown list and click ok.

8. Click connect and then start your web browser. [i suggest you get the opera browser http://www.opera.com/ and use the turbo mode which compresses webpages and saves data costs and also speeds up page loading. Also you may want to disable the loading of images in the settings to firther save data costs].

Thats it, then you should be able to access the internet. :)

19. Aly

+0

Doesn't work for mine :/ 900G not U900 :(
    Thank you though. I'll just go without internet.

20. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0

The software is the same for each phone, It should work. :)