Ice Cream vs. Frozen Dairy Dessert

Cammeh

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
I don't know how often you guys purchase ice cream, but if you're like me, it's just about every week. Chances are you've also noticed that some ice cream containers are labeled "ice cream," while others are labeled as a "frozen dairy dessert."

Here's an article explaining it, if you haven't noticed this before: https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/ice-cream-vs-frozen-dessert-the-chilling-truth-694000

If you've noticed this before, can you tell the difference between ice cream and a frozen dairy dessert? Is the taste different to you?

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
There's definitely a different taste. I was never a big ice cream lover until I moved out to the country. Those dairy cows make a huge difference :D I found a few dairy farms that make their own ice cream and wow, nothing competes to it and I can't go back to grocery store containers ever again. I think it is the fat percentage that makes it so creamy.

Reactions: Fiona1964

Elli

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
I haven't had farm-fresh ice cream in a while. Ben & Jerry's is my favorite from the store, or Tillamook if I just want plain vanilla bean. Their mint chocolate-chip is good, too.

But I definitely won't touch "frozen dairy treat/dessert", which tastes like the vague idea of ice cream. It tastes like someone who never tasted ice cream tried to make ice cream. Ice cream-adjacent, if you will. It's not worth the calories!

D

Deleted member 44219

I have never heard or seen Ice-Cream be called "Frozen-Dairy-Desert". And to be honest, I honestly don't know the difference. I mean, who calls Ice-Cream: FROZEN-DAIRY-DESERT!

I scream, you scream, we all scream for FROZEN-DAIRY-DESERT!

• Haha
Reactions: Ravenisawesome

Cammeh

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
I have never heard or seen Ice-Cream be called "Frozen-Dairy-Desert". And to be honest, I honestly don't know the difference. I mean, who calls Ice-Cream: FROZEN-DAIRY-DESERT!

Walk down the ice cream aisle at any grocery store in your area, and you'll be surprised. There's probably just as much frozen dairy dessert as there is ice cream.

• Agree
Reactions: Elli

Ravenisawesome

Resident
Aug 4, 2012
Mobius
FP$
I do like some frozen dairy deserts like the strange character ice creams you get off the ice cream truck. (That usually never look like the character! :laughing:) However Ice Cream tastes much better of course. :p

Elli

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$

In the US, these products are legally required to be called "frozen dairy dessert" because they don't contain enough cream to meet the standard for what's considered "ice cream". Breyers is the best example of this.