Invision Community (IPB) 4.4 released

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
Invision Community (IPB) 4.4 has been released today!

You can find and download the new version in your Client Area. It will appear in your ACP for automatic download and installation soon.

Check out all the new updates and improvements that version 4.4 brings here: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/

Reactions: JoelR

Empire

Confederation of lords
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Already read about it right away and I was like holy darn so much they have done. But I still got to wait for another week or more as all plugins and theme needs to be updated. This is an big update patch.

Remember to backup first lol

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I'll give IPB credit for not being a bunch of boring stiffs with their announcements lol
I wonder how long it will take for XenForo to implement these features :angelic:

GIFs are always nice, although I'm not sure about whether a "meme button" is a good idea.
Also, lazy loading doesn't actually speed up page loads, it actually makes it significantly slower on slow connections and same-y on fast connections, it's an anti-pattern.

With lazy loading, you scroll down to the images and have to wait five seconds for them to load on a slow connection rather than just having them be loaded already, I've run into that problem on some sites and it drives me nuts.
When we first implemented the letter avatars in 4.3, we discussed whether to use CSS styling or use an image.

We decided to go with an image as it was more stable over lots of different devices, including email.

We've revisited this in 4.4, and switched the letter avatars to SVG, which are much faster to render now that the browser doesn't have to load the image files.
And this isn't actually true with HTTP/2. Icon fonts have issues for a number of reasons, partly because they have a thousand icons you will never even use, but not really images. Instead, it will make the page more bloated, even if you have the images already cached.

Lots of good ideas, but IPB seems to have made some mistakes here and there.

Last edited:

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
But I still got to wait for another week or more as all plugins and theme needs to be updated.
I'm not sure if I should update now or wait for version 4.4.1 which will have more bugs and issues fixed.

GIFs are always nice, although I'm not sure about whether a "meme button" is a good idea.
I am really looking forward to that GIF-button. :cool: But it is disabled from start so if you don't want a "meme button" in your community you don't have to activate it - choices are great, huh! ;)

've run into that problem on some sites and it drives me nuts.
I have a love-hate relationship with lazy loading TBH. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, for example when you just want to quickly scroll down a page, and sometimes it's just annoying having to wait a second time for content to load.

Empire

Confederation of lords
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
wait for version 4.4.1 which will have more bugs and issues fixed.
they already had like 3 to 4 weeks worth of people that got to test and they have fixed endless bugs. We always going to get bugs so never the less even if I got to update there is always going to be endless patches

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I'm not sure if I should update now or wait for version 4.4.1 which will have more bugs and issues fixed.
With just about anything, I usually wait until at-least the first patch version before upgrading, although it's also time based, for instance, six months is plenty of time for the team to iron out the bugs, unlike an immediate hot-fix for an urgent issue in week one.

I usually break this rule, if I'm rolling my own code, as someone needs to be the guinea pig and it might as-well be me lol

• Haha

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
I upgraded one of my websites to 4.4 yesterday, the upgrade process went smoothly without any problems. But I run a heavily customized theme and 4.4 brings so many changes to the source code that I had to rebuild my custom theme.

Empire

Confederation of lords
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
I upgraded one of my websites to 4.4 yesterday, the upgrade process went smoothly without any problems. But I run a heavily customized theme and 4.4 brings so many changes to the source code that I had to rebuild my custom theme.
Same here, that's why I waited until major of the plugins are updated.

If I update the site and plugins aren't updated then it can mess it up badly.

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
If I update the site and plugins aren't updated then it can mess it up badly.
Yeah, that is also why I don't like to rely on too many unofficial plugins or addons for my sites. I want to update as soon as possible and I don't want to wait for my plugins or add-ons to be compatible with the latest version of my forum software. There is also the risk that a developer for various reasons suddenly stops working on a plugin or add-on that I am using - and that would be messy!

JoelR

New Arrival
Mar 13, 2019
FP$
Hi everyone,

You probably recognize me from the Invision Community peer forums. I'm also waiting a bit (but just a bit!) before I upgrade to 4.4 which excites me a lot.

I'm really looking forward to some of the performance improvements. I know lazy loading may actually appear to slow down the loading of the page because the images don't get loaded until near the viewport, but from an administrator's standpoint, it saves on a ton of unneeded bandwidth. Given that my community has a lot of image boards, I can't wait to start seeing my AWS bill start to go down!

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Last edited:
Reactions: meetdilip

Empire

Confederation of lords
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Isn't just the images, It can be the theme also. Some themes are very heavy then others and those that has custom theme it can impacted even more. But end of all it's allot faster in loading times for my end allot, Download/gallery feels the same

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Isn't just the images, It can be the theme also. Some themes are very heavy then others and those that has custom theme it can impacted even more. But end of all it's allot faster in loading times for my end allot, Download/gallery feels the same
There are a lot of factors involved with theme performance. How fancy you're trying to go, how tight the developer's deadline is, how much you're paying, whether the developer is competent, etc.

Browser caching can usually help a lot there.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
My client uses StackPath (clients MaxCDN subscription got moved to Stackpath). We moved from cloudflare to StackPath, because cloudflare had a lot of downtime and the 504 errors were too much on it as often cloudflare has issues handling large traffic.
I think I know what might be causing that. Sometimes on some rare occasions, Cloudflare takes a long time to establish TLS connections and it goes over a timeout specified on the origin server cutting off the request in the process.

Timeouts like that are usually specified on origin servers to guard against DoS attacks.