• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

Terrible at Web Design

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I probably could make a lot of things rank, but I'm a very lazy person.
And I don't think that theme is that bad, I've done worse lol

You just have to look at one of the themes I made for one of my forum software.
Not Gosora, I actually like that one, but I think it was one of the ABBs.

As for other terrible themes:
https://danluu.com/web-bloat/
Around 2015, I was writing some C++ programs and went out to look for libraries. And all of the sites looked like that.

I have a bit more context now as to why they might do that due to the above article, but at the time, it was particularly bizarre, like stepping back into the 90s. It's probably mostly cultural.

Editted to add a bit more information and to stay a little more on-topic lol

Last edited:

simonsmith

New Arrival
Nov 1, 2016
FP$
Hi Guys, I agree that as the time pass webdesign and development is getting more advanced. Also to make a website rank mean some good hard professional work in web design, development and SEO. Also monetizing a website is not easy unless you know your stuff. I have a easy solution for newbies and lazy persons who want to make money from their blog and website without doing extra work. Bundle of companies are providing these kind of services but i normally prefer only those which are registered businesses like RevGlue which offers affiliate cashback cms design services revglue.com/bespoke. Its a UK based registered company. This thing shows that these are the professionals. Anyways, everyone has its own mind. Thanks for sharing the nice thread with us.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
As for other terrible themes:
https://danluu.com/web-bloat/
Around 2015, I was writing some C++ programs and went out to look for libraries. And all of the sites looked like that.

I have a bit more context now as to why they might do that due to the above article, but at the time, it was particularly bizarre, like stepping back into the 90s. It's probably mostly cultural.

Editted to add a bit more information and to stay a little more on-topic lol
At least he bothered to divide stuff into paragraphs!

B

Bryn

I heard that Walmart's new website stunk to high heaven in terms of design, and here I am thinking that YouTube's new current look was abysmal.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Bright and neon colors don't work with web design, but they're fun for non-web design. Something about computer monitors won't tolerate them. However, if you can make neon etc. a little less bright I think it will work.

B

Bryn

YouTube's current design isn't too bad once you get used to it, although it is pretty boring.
Also noting that it's too heavy on CPU too. Honestly, it takes about four seconds for any of pages to load up! :rage:

Alexandoy

Familiar Face
Dec 15, 2018
FP$
I think the earlier websites were made by amateurs because I also had my own website in 2001 that I created using Dreamweaver. Since I have a low aptitude when it comes to artistic design so the format of my web page was the 3-parts where the upper frame take the half of the page and the lower half was split into 2nd and 3rd frame. Unfortunately the free hosting was unheard of and the 1 year hosting was free courtesy of a friend in Germany. It was in the internet for only a year.

vinaya

Familiar Face
Nov 29, 2017
FP$
When I was starting out, I watched a lot of youtube videos to build a wordpress site. Since my skills were rudimentary, my sites were terrible in terms of design. Then I began to study web designing and over the time my skills developed. I do not claim to be a professional, yet I believe that my websites are not bad in terms of design.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Terrible design as you said, but also yes - it would pass.
Back in the day all that mattered was that users could see information instantly & browse around for information they needed... so you can see headers/sections/etc & that's awesome

It's not the worst I have ever seen, but very very primitive
In fact, one could even say this is ahead of its time... "minimal design" has taken over & although this page is missing flat color buttons and minor hover effects, it's closer to modern design than most websites were in the 90s/2000s (colorful, flashy, with animations, etc)

• Haha
Reactions: Jason76

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Terrible design as you said, but also yes - it would pass.
Back in the day all that mattered was that users could see information instantly & browse around for information they needed... so you can see headers/sections/etc & that's awesome

It's not the worst I have ever seen, but very very primitive
In fact, one could even say this is ahead of its time... "minimal design" has taken over & although this page is missing flat color buttons and minor hover effects, it's closer to modern design than most websites were in the 90s/2000s (colorful, flashy, with animations, etc)
Interesting. I thought it was just bad. :eek: