The design that doesn't get used

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Have you ever been asked by a friend to design something and you go through all the communications of getting what's in their head and put it onto the screen...and then they go elsewhere using a design that isn't exactly what they expressed they wanted to you?

I just went through that again with the same person. It has been a few years since it first happened and this time doesn't hurt as much as the first because I'll be getting paid. But still.

Mozzie

Resident
Aug 9, 2015
Oz
creativeanimations.jcink.net
FP$
On our graphics board, we ask them to fill out a description of what they want. Colours, Text, Font types, Images, everything. We have made a few things that a members didn't end up using. My pet hate is what someone says to you, surprise me, or, what ever you do will be fine.

Reactions: Lämmchen

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
It hurts when somebody else takes credit of your work. You should skip such people.
Well, they aren't taking credit for my work. They're not using what they said that they wanted for their design idea after putting a lot of work into it. The design they went with was with someone else and a totally different look.

Elli

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
This kind of crap drives me crazy, whether I've been paid or not. In my mind, if you're going to ask someone to work for you, you stick through it and you use what you're given. Make changes if necessary, but to duplicate that request to a second person feels super disrespectful imo. Not just to the first person, but also to their time. Especially as a friend.

I won't work with people who pull this, since my time or efforts are apparently not that valuable to them.

• Agree

Ravenisawesome

Resident
Aug 4, 2012
Mobius
FP$
That would annoy me, and I honestly probably wouldn't do business with that person ever again. Why ask someone to work on a theme and then not even use it after all the hard work was put into it? If the person wanted a different design all together, they should have contacted you long before you started working on it or at the very least when you first started working on it.

• Agree

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
This kind of crap drives me crazy, whether I've been paid or not. In my mind, if you're going to ask someone to work for you, you stick through it and you use what you're given. Make changes if necessary, but to duplicate that request to a second person feels super disrespectful imo. Not just to the first person, but also to their time. Especially as a friend.

I won't work with people who pull this, since my time or efforts are apparently not that valuable to them.
That would annoy me, and I honestly probably wouldn't do business with that person ever again. Why ask someone to work on a theme and then not even use it after all the hard work was put into it? If the person wanted a different design all together, they should have contacted you long before you started working on it or at the very least when you first started working on it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is irritated by this. This isn't the only time he has done this to me but it will be the last because now I have trust issues.

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Well, now I feel like a total jerk since my friend paid me 4 times more than the amount I thought I was going to get.

Joshua Farrell

Administrator
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009
offtopichub.com
FP$
At one time I used to be pretty annoyed when people would do stuff like not being specific in requests, and deciding that they have the right to distribute copies to their friends and not even leave the copyright intact. Figured, if people want to do something like that, I better not advertise to those people.

dojo

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 10, 2012
New York City
marketing.themedically.com
FP$
I routinely do at least 5-6 separate logo iterations for a client. This means that each job leaves me with a lot of vector elements that are not approved. I keep them close though, sometimes they can work wonders in other projects and it saves more time. Or I can use this for my own sites, provide as free downloads to subscribers etc.